Saturday, August 30, 2008

Albums, August 2008

Albums, August 2008

I haven't seen many movies during the last two weeks because of such activities as moving into a new place and beginning my sophomore year in college. Fortunately, my co-op's house manager has a fantastic CD collection, and I have ripped many of his albums, which I'll list here.

Album Highlight
The Who - Live At Leeds

This album is fantastic. All of the band members are at the top of their game, and the excellent recording gives each of the instruments equal presence. There is a wonderful liveliness that makes the album sound both epic and intimate; it is probably my favorite live album.

Song Highlight
The Stranglers - "Golden Brown"

While I was driving with some friends, we heard this song on the radio. One passenger summed up my thoughts in that moment, "This song is fucking incredible." This is a very basic song - about drug abuse, of course - that primarily relies on a harpsichord and some synthesizers, and whose beauty stems from its very simplicity.

1) The Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill
This album is O.K. The six songs I have listened to are fun, but they all sound the same - it's a surprisingly boring album.

2) Beck - Odelay
This is the first time I have listened to Beck, and I like the album quite a bit. It's definitely a promising indication of how I'll enjoy the rest of his work.

3) The Band - The Band
I really like The Band.

4) Radiohead - Hail To The Thief
This is probably the least impressive Radiohead album. It merely sounds like a collection of sounds, some of which are interesting, some of which don't really work. There is a disappointing lack of focus here, a quality that I began to notice with their previous album, Amnesiac.

5) Pink Floyd - Meddle
I've listened to half of it, and I think it's good. The wonderfully creepy song "One Of These Days" and the 24-minute, heavily atmospheric song "Echoes" are the highlights.

6) Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced 'Leh-'Nérd 'Skin-'Nérd)
I've only listened to "Free Bird," which is a fantastic rock song.

7) Gorillaz - Demon Days
I really like this album. It sounds scary, beautiful, and "cool," and all of the songs flow together well. Thank you, Danger Mouse.

8) Deep Purple - Machine Head
I've listened to "Highway Star," "Pictures Of Home," "Smoke On The Water," and "Space Truckin'." All of those are fantastic songs. I look forward to listening to the rest of the album.

9) The Clash - London Calling
I still need to listen to the entire album, but the songs "London Calling" and "Train In Vain" are excellent.

10) Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Color me unimpressed with Coldplay. The band members aren't great musicians and the lyrics are incessantly whiny. Their songs are trite, but they can be admittedly catchy. "Clocks" and "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" are the highlights.

11) The Verve - Urban Hymns
This album starts off on a climatic note, with the ever-ubiquitous anthem "Bittersweet Symphony." It's a good, rousing song, but the rest of the album has a more dour tone, like that of a person recovering from a wild and overlong party. It is an interesting, alternative take on such rise-and-fall albums as Pink Floyd's The Wall. Urban Hymns seems to begin with the band at its best, and then focuses on the dreary aftermath; it is a portrait of a band picking up the pieces and starting over. This means that there are no truly memorable songs after "Bittersweet Symphony" - the album strives to create a tragic atmosphere, and that's exactly what it accomplishes.

12) U2 - War
I still need to give this a listen, though I have already heard "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Years' Day" on their album The Best of 1980-1990. The cover art, which features a stark, black-and-white photograph of a glaring boy, is striking.

13) Steely Dan - Aja
I still need to give this a listen, but I have heard the song "Peg" before.

14) Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
I am still not impressed with Coldplay. To give them credit, they try to reach out into more adventurous territory - the production sounds richer and more engaging than that of A Rush Of Blood To The Head. Nonetheless, the new, "risky" Coldplay still sounds incredibly generic to me. The band members simply are not great musicians. The album's highlight: "Viva La Vida."

15) The Shins - Wincing The Night Away
This is a very good album. The lyrics are great, the production sounds great, plus the band is from Portland, which is pretty cool.

16) Jethro Tull - Aqualung
I still need to give this a listen, but I really like Jethro Tull.

17) Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Despite its flaws, the film "Control" got me interested in the British band Joy Division. Ian Curtis, as the band's lyricist and singer, gives each of the songs a somber tone; they are primarily concerned with lost love. And yet they are all memorable and contain a surprising amount of energy. This album's highlight is the song "Disorder," which kicks off with a great bass line and guitar riff that some songs today try to mimic.

3 comments:

David said...

Live at Leeds is incredible, the best live album I've ever heard.

Licensed to Ill is a personal favorite of mine; it's obnoxious, catchy, and awesome.

Odelay is definitely Beck's most prominent, adventurous, and fun album. It's the one that convinced people he was more than a one-hit wonder with 1994's "Loser." Every Beck album is unique; no two Beck albums sound the same, although I find similarities between Odelay and Guero (especially since they used the same producing team in The Dust Brothers). My personal favorite Beck release is Sea Change. It's a very melancholy, beautiful, and sad album that he wrote right after he broke up with his girlfriend. I'd definitely recommend it.

If you want more of the Band, I'd recommend Music From Big Pink, which contains my personal favorite song of theirs, "The Weight."

I agree on your assessment of Hail to the Thief. It bores the heck out of me.

Meddle is awesome, "Echoes" is epic, and "Fearless" is an awesome, underrated Floyd track.

Machine Head is one of the best hard-rock albums of all time. Some say it creates a "trinity" with Led Zeppelin IV and Black Sabbath's Paranoid. "Highway Star" is my personal favorite from the album.

London Calling is incredible, a landmark album. It contains so many styles of music, not just punk as some think.

Personally, I love Coldplay, but I see why some don't. They create atmospheres in their music that I really dig. A Rush of Blood to the Head is my favorite Coldplay album, "Clocks" and "Warning Sign" being my favorites.

I want to get Urban Hymns. All I've heard is "Bittersweet Symphony." Let me know if the rest of the album is good.

War is so awesome. It's back when U2 was loud and in-your-face. Check out "Two Hearts Beat as One".

Even though I normally love Steely Dan, Aja disappoints me. It's too smooth and slick for my liking.

Aqualung is a big personal favorite of mine. For some reason, I just absolutely love it's combination of medieval folk and electric guitar riffs.

Awesome selection of albums you picked up there, man.

Anonymous said...

PORTLAND!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!
Wincing the Night Away rocks, my favorite Shins album, for sure.
Viva La Vida kind of kicks AROBTTH's ass, by the way. Definitely listen to it. I'm listening to it right now. Coldplay got it right with this one.

Your doting cousin from Portland,
Leah

Max said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, David. And cousin... it's awesome hearing from you!!